Installation messages using ServiceUI.exe in Intune

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here.

I have very unusual question and hope someone encountered this already.

Trying to prompt an installation and uninstallation messages with Show-InstallationWelcome and Show-InstallationProgress.
Currently using ver. 3.8.4 and ver. 3.9.3 gets stuck after 2-3 successful attempts.

Anyway, when running Deploy-Application.exe (or Deploy-Application.exe Uninstall ) with CMD locally, I’m being prompted by the required messages and all works great.

However, when I create .intunewin package and upload it to Intune, the deployment works but there are no above messages showing up at all. Show all toast notifications is selected

I’m uninstalling MS Project and Visio and need those popups for users to save their work on other MS365 apps.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

I’ve seen other post mentioning how to do PSADT GUI popups in Intune.

I’m hoping they’ll add instructions in the docs for 3.9.4

I think this requires some guidance (probably written / drafted by an Intune Admin such as me) so we all understand how Intune differs from other deployment platforms, with some best practice guidance around User vs System deployment methods. I’ll try and find the time to put this together to assist the community.

In the meantime @Borski - Welcome.
I am unsure what level of experience or understanding you have of Intune, so apologies if these questions seem a little simple.

• How are you targetting the applications (User or System context)
  • If you are deploying in the user Context, do the users have local admin rights, as I believe M365 apps such as Visio and Project require elevated rights to install (See: Check if you have local admin rights to install Office - Microsoft Support), so it could be a permissions issue
  • The behaviour you have detailed would infer you are probably installing in the System context and the prompts are not being passed through to the user context, therefore you would also need to use the serviceui.exe (a component part of MDT) as part of the install / uninstall strings so any prompts triggered during the System install (e.g. Show-InstallationWelcome & Show-InstallationProgress) can be output into the User Context
    This is an example of the installation and uninstallation of any ‘PSAppDeployToolkit wrapped’ app, deployed in the system context

So you don’t need to specify a path to the ServiceUI.exe file (as my screen grab shows). You should create your .intunewin file with the serviceui.exe included in the root of the .intunewin file

FYI: There is a reasonably good blog (apart from the adverts) about the usage of ServiceUI.exe with Intune here: Use ServiceUI With Intune To Bring SYSTEM Process To Interactive Mode HTMD Blog

[EDIT] Forgot to mention if you check the log file for the PSAppDeployToolkit deployment it should give a trained eye some idea what the cause of the install failure is or at least in what context the install is occuring.

By default, these are saved at C:\Windows\Logs\Software, but this path can be changed in the config XML file located within the AppDeployToolkit folder

However, we changed our default Log path for all our PSAppDeployToolkit wrapped apps to be written to c:\programdata\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs so you can ensure you can download any of the install logs from any Intune device - This is changed in the “.\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitConfig.xml” file

2 Likes

Thank you @Adrian_Scott. Your answer is my solution I’ve already applied. Partially thanks to @That-Annoying-Guy initial answer (kind of made me to look for the solution :grinning:).
Now i need to work on why ver. 3.9.3 stops working after 2-3 successful attempts (when run from CMD locally).

Thanks again guys

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.