Deployment script fails with -1073741510 (3221225786) exit code

Hello everyone,

Did anybody have an issue when deployment script “fails” with -1073741510? I mean it fails according to SCCM - this error code appears in execmgr, while the deployment script goes further and completes… We currently have around 70 Win10 (1803 & 1809) devices where it happens (deployment has a recurring re-run set). When I’m looking at the PSADT log, it looks like that it always fails while prompting user to close apps which cannot be running during installation. There’s no trace in PSADT log that something wrong happened - it waits for the user to action, checks whether apps are still running… Everything’s look normal. But SCCM client gets the error code and assumes that the installation failed. I cannot find any info about that… The error code itself is the one you get when aborting cmd script by pressing CTRL+C for example, that’s why it’s weird. The version of the deployment script is 3.7.0

That is an old version of the toolkit. The toolkit starts powershell silently. No window is visible so it seems like you are using cmd inside Deploy-Application.ps1. If you use toolkit’s functions to start cmd then you would see an error with that exit code but you can still use Start-Process which wouldnt be visible in the log. Can’t really help without seeing the code though.

Cmd is not executed from within the script. That’s why I said it’s weird. On all machines I checked, it happens when the script is prompting user to close some applications. There are currently two different packages causing the same issue. Both are prompting to close different apps. Below is the part containing Show-InstallationWelcome of one of them:

If ($deploymentType -ine 'Uninstall') {
		##*===============================================
		##* PRE-INSTALLATION
		##*===============================================
		[string]$installPhase = 'Pre-Installation'

## Show Welcome Message, close Internet Explorer if required, allow up to 3 deferrals, verify there is enough disk space to complete the install, and persist the prompt
		Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps 'chrome,iexplore,firefox' -CheckDiskSpace -RequiredDiskSpace 1000 -CloseAppsCountdown 1800

## Show Progress Message (with the default message)
		Show-InstallationProgress

## <Perform Pre-Installation tasks here>
		}

This function doesn’t really return exit codes other than the one in the config file.
But then again, you are using an old version. Dont remember if there was a bug that could cause this. Can you try with a newer version? 3.8.1 at least ?

Since deployment results of one of the packages were really poor, we’ll be performing a remediation. The package will be re-worked prior to the second shot to use the latest version of the toolkit. The error is difficult to reproduce on test machines, because it’s random but the remediation deployment should give us the answer. I’ll come back with the outcome