Deploy-Application.exe fails on start

This morning I investigated an error which was seen on three machines in our organization.

It doesn’t seem a structural problem (other pc’s, all W10 1809/1909 just installed fine), but I do not know at the moment what is wrong on these machines where it happens.

The error shown is like (google translated from swedish):

Unmanaged exception: C: \ WINDOWS \ system32> cd \ Windows \ ccmcache \ mSystem.IO.FileLoadE
xception: The mixed mode composition is created against version v2.0.50727 of the kernel
environment and cannot be redeemed in the 4.0 runtime environment without additional configuration
ration information.

When using Config Manager Software Center it fails with 0xE0434352(-532462766).

Changing the Deploy-Application.exe.config file to the following solves the issue.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1"/>
  </startup>
</configuration>

Installation than works fine.
My question, has anybody seen this before and what is a good stable solution for this?

Kind regards,
Rudi Robesin

Hello,

toolkit is supported on Powershell 2.0 - NET framework 2.0-3.5 and higher. This .config file contains this info so Windows knows what NET framework version is needed for the application to work. However Windows 10 comes with NET framework 4.5+ and NET framework 2.0-3.5 is an optional feature. It is not installed by default. Sometimes this causes issues, when this feature isn’t installed. You can either push NET framework 2.0-3.5 to your clients or change the config file if you have this issue. We plan to increase requirements in one of the next major versions, so this will not be an issue for those but v3 of the toolkit supports Windows 7 and Windows 7 comes with NET Framework 2.0-3.5 and Powershell 2.0.

1 Like

Ok, clear thx. I will ask the responsible team to create a configuration baseline in Config Manager to remediate this situation.