Can dialogs be turned off if one wrapped Application calls another Applicaton as a Dependency?

Suppose you have SCCM Application A, which is wrapped in PSADT, available in Software Center and uses any of the various functions that prompt a user to take some action such as Show-Installation Prompt, Show-InstallationWelcome, Show-InstallationRestartPrompt. That is, any function that presents the user with a modal dialog. This interactive behavior is what you desire if Application A is installed on its own.

Now suppose you have SCCM Application B, which is also wrapped in PSADT and uses any of the modal dialog functions as well. In this scenario, Application B has an SCCM Dependency on Application A.

Is it possible that if the user installs Application A, they interact with the dialogs but if they install Application B, they only interact with Application B’s modal dialog functions, and Application A’s modal dialog functions are turned off? In this way the user is not “double prompted”. You could say Application B is the Parent of Application A in this case.

Akin to when the dialogs are automatically turned off when run as part of a task sequence because PSADT automatically detects that, I wonder if it is possible to do what I am asking out of the box? I hope I have just missed something and someone here can enlighten me.

I hope to avoid authoring some custom control of dialogs such as writing a registry entry or an environment variable from the “Parent” Application PSADT script that the “Child” Application PSADT script would recognize to not display the dialogs.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Hello,

If application B has dependency of application A in SCCM, then if application A has any dialog boxes during installation then it will proceed with the installation of application B only when when application A is completely installed , hence there wont be any overlapping of dialog boxes on each other. If application A is failed to install then it will not even proceed to install application B (dependency failure error). In a nutshell, Application A dialog boxes will trigger first and once the session of Application A is completed then only Application B dialog boxes will get trigger.

Regards,
Suraj Malusare

Combine A + B in one script. Else its not possible. Or just disable all the prompts for A or B.

1 Like

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming, GoldenRatio.

You could have the first application create a registry entry based on what user picks and the second application will check whether the registry entry exists and if it does, use the values and not ask anything from the user and then delete the registry entry.