Show-InstallationWelcome in an SCCM task sequence step

Hi all,
I’m trying to use the Show-InstallationWelcome command in an SCCM task sequence to allow a user to defer. Using the exit code, we’ll either run the following steps or force the TS to end.

I’ve written this in an sccm package, and deployed it to my test machine and it works flawlessly.

The issue I’m having is that when I try to add this to a task sequence, the dialog never shows up. It just goes right through without any error. Verified this in the smsts log as well.

I’ve tried both with powershell and command line step types in the task sequence. Apparently the “install package” step type wont work because you cant use a program the requires user intervention in a task sequence.

Thanks!

I am not using sccm, using RES Automation, but the concept is the same. If I am run the application locally the welcome message appears, however, when pushed to the device it does not appear. If if I am sitting interactively in front of the computer, nothing appears, but the application installs fine. I understand that RES and also SCCM deploys apps under the system account.

I got it work for both Res Automation and SCCM by leveraging ServiceUI. I created a package in SCCM that included ServiceUI being at the root with deploy-application.exe. Then in the TS, I created a step to run a command and put it as ServiceUI.exe -process:TSProgressUI.exe “c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe” -Executionpolicy bypass -WindowStyle Hidden -NoProfile -nologo -file “Deploy-Application.ps1” and check the box for package and point it to the package I created.

2 Likes

Thanks, I know its been a while. That will be useful for future efforts.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.