Newb question - need advice

It wasn’t. I changed the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt line back to the Show-Installation line, and ran it again, and the upgrade went fine. There is just something about that Show-InstallationRestartPrompt command that this process is not liking.

Even after the successful run, there was only one log in the c:\windows\logs\software directory. So, do I need to put in that log location for the added log, or does it not actually go to the same location as the base install log?

I find it weird that the PSADT log file is only ONE line. there should be 50+ of lines before it gets to your Show-InstallationRestartPrompt line. it’s as if something deletes or overwrites it midway.

Try putting a pause of 10 seconds before the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt line.

…Wait I just remembered something. Let me check, I’ll get back in an hour or 2.

thanks. Here are the two post-install lines, if it helps in some way:

If (-not $useDefaultMsi) {Show-InstallationPrompt -Message 'REBOOT NOW!!!!!' -ButtonRightText 'OK' -Icon Information -NoWait }
	}
	ElseIf ($deploymentType -ieq 'Uninstall')

This one works.

If (-not $useDefaultMsi) { Show-InstallationRestartPrompt -CountdownSeconds 60 }
	}
	ElseIf ($deploymentType -ieq 'Uninstall')

This one crashes Powershell.

Which version of PSADT are you using?

1. PSADT v3.8.5 - Beta
  2. PSADT v3.8.4 - Released

In PSADT v3.8.5, the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt function was changed quite a bit.

If you are not comfortable with “Beta” code, at least steal the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt function and give it a try.

I’m fine with the beta code. To get the beta files, do I just copy/paste the contents? Doesn’t seem to be a download

Click on the BETA in blue.
It will DL a Zip file.

Either swap the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt function from the AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1files
or
swap all the files with the same names as the 384 Release version. (IOW: You don’t need all the files from the Beta version)

The beta function worked! I also put a Show-InstallationPrompt in front of the welcome screen, so I can put in some words to the user about the mandatory reboot after install.

Thanks so much for all your help and patience in this process.

Now, I just need to build an SCCM package to deploy it reliably. One battle done, one more to go.

1 Like

So, I’ve been testing my SCCM deployment. Works fine, except that at the end of the install, the bubble notification pops up saying install complete, but it can take 2-3 minutes from that point for the Show-InstallationRestartPrompt window to pop up.

When I was running this straight, it was a second or two, so that makes me think that SCCM is somehow getting in the way, and delaying the popup?

Any ideas?

no, we have the same issue.
It creates a scheduled task and runs it ASAP as the user.
PSADT can only schedule the task with a minute’s precision.
so some runs are faster than others

Don’t like the answer, but I’m glad it’s not me. :joy:

Thanks for the quick response.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.