Execute-Process Command Troubleshooting

I’m trying to run the below command which seems pretty simple but nothing happens.
Execute-Process -Path “Xming-6-9-0-31-setup.exe” -Parameters “/SILENT /NORESTART /ALLUSERS”

The below is all I get in the log file. How do I troubleshoot this? I’m using the default settings for 3.8.2 version of the PSADT.

<![LOG[[Initialization] :: *******************************************************************************]LOG]!><time=“17:04:58.814-240” date=“08-11-2020” component=“PSAppDeployToolkit” context=“NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM” type=“1” thread=“1520” file=“AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1”>
<![LOG[[Initialization] :: *******************************************************************************]LOG]!><time=“17:04:58.814-240” date=“08-11-2020” component=“PSAppDeployToolkit” context=“NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM” type=“1” thread=“1520” file=“AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1”>
<![LOG[[Initialization] :: [Xming_6.9.0.31_x86_EN_01] setup started.]LOG]!><time=“17:04:58.875-240” date=“08-11-2020” component=“PSAppDeployToolkit” context=“NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM” type=“1” thread=“1520” file=“AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1”>
<![LOG[[Initialization] :: Script [C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1] dot-source invoked by [C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\Deploy-Application.ps1]]LOG]!><time=“17:04:58.910-240” date=“08-11-2020” component=“PSAppDeployToolkit” context=“NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM” type=“1” thread=“1520” file=“AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1”>

Try using the parameter /VERYSILENT.

/SILENT still tries to show a progress dialog box which will not work in the SYSTEM context.

Thanks for the reply. I still don’t get any activity past this log… It is strange as I’m getting the same results from my Pycharm.
Execute-Process -Path “pycharm-community-2019.3.1.exe” -Parameters “/S /Config=silent.config”

I can run them in the same SYSTEM context just fine manually but stops working as soon as I try within PSADT.

When I try to just run the script from the PowerShell ISE I get the following. I’m not sure if this is a better way to troubleshoot the issue.

PS C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2> C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\Deploy-Application.ps1
[08-11-2020 21:47:14.063] [Initialization] [PSAppDeployToolkit] :: *******************************************************************************
[08-11-2020 21:47:14.063] [Initialization] [PSAppDeployToolkit] :: *******************************************************************************
[08-11-2020 21:47:14.224] [Initialization] [PSAppDeployToolkit] :: [Xming_6.9.0.31_x64_EN_01] setup started.
[08-11-2020 21:47:14.260] [Initialization] [PSAppDeployToolkit] :: Script [C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1] dot-source
invoked by [C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\Deploy-Application.ps1]
C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\Deploy-Application.ps1 : Module [C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1] failed to load:
File C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitExtensions.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file
C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitExtensions.ps1 is not digitally signed. You cannot run this script on the current system. For
more information about running scripts and setting execution policy, see about_Execution_Policies at https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.

At C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2\Deploy-Application.ps1:98 char:81

• … yToolkitMain -DisableLogging } Else { . $moduleAppDeployToolkitMain }
  •                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Deploy-Application.ps1

PS C:\Temp\Test\Xming\2>

For the first one, the log is stopped there because the script is waiting for the process to exit before continuing. If the process is in waiting for input or otherwise stuck itself, it will seem like PSADT is frozen.

In the second one, it looks like you cannot run unsigned scripts. Unfortunately, we aren’t signing the scripts as the moment. You will need to set the execution policy to bypass for the 2nd example.

Lastly, how are you running in the SYSTEM context? Most of the time, PSADT is run with PsExec and ServiceUI.