Deployment evaluation after a forced reboot - How?

Hi There,

I am trying to update an application of different versions.
Some of the versions cannot be updated, and therefor I need to uninstall the old application and install the new one.

Unfortunately this requires a reboot after the application uninstallation, so my question is now;
How do I trigger an “Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle” after that reboot to continue the installation of the new application?

lets say it is an Antivirus application that gets uninstalled and triggers the reboot.
What is the best/fastest way to install the new version once the user is back into windows again?

I really don’t want to have the users running without antivirus for a longer period of time.

Thank you in advance
\Laa

Invoke-SCCMTask -ScheduleId ApplicationManagerPolicyAction

to trigger the ADE cycle.

You could set up a task through Task Scheduler to launch the toolkit after reboot and remove the task at the end of the installation, once you verify its installed correctly. I would suggest copying to Windows\Temp first because SCCM agent creates random folders and if it decides to clean up the cache, the folder could get deleted prior to it getting started.

Thank you @luki1412 for your proposal.

I will give that a go and let you know the result.
Have a great weekend

\Laa

I am just doing this, removing symantec and moving to cybereason.

First the cyber install is set to supercede the symantec application with uninstall checked.(the first application doesnt need to be deployed to the device, it just needs to be detected by its detection rule)

The return codes of the old application 0, 3010 are set to hard reboot.
This will hold up the deployment chain until after the reboot.
Also during the uninstall of the first app the last line of code is to call sendschedule.exe with the parameter for hardware inventory. This triggers a hardware inventory as soon as first app is removed before the reboot. (2 min sleep)

I then have a collection created for all devices without the first app with a required install of the second app.

The benefit of doing it this way is the app can be aval or required and still work fine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/support/send-schedule-tool

another simple option, create a custom task sequence, first step command line to uninstall old app. second step reboot, 3rd step install package \ application (your new app)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.