Apps not closing, Stop-Process fails

When the ForceCloseAppsCountdown timer expires apps do not close. The Welcome window just starts blinking. Logging shows PSApp is trying to perform Stop-Process and then waits 2 seconds, over and over again.

If I try to run the Stop-Process command in Powershell (as local admin or under system account), I get an Access Denied error. Same when running Taskkill. The only way I can end a program is by using taskmanager gui, or running wmic.exe /interactive:off process where "name like 'winword%'" call terminate.

I know this is beyond PSApp scope, but can anyone tell me why Stop-Process won’t work? I’m running Windows 10 20H2, have no conflicting gpo’s, turned off uac, and uninstalled all virus/malwarescanners.

edit - it does seem to be working for acad and notepad. But not on Office 365 applications:

Powershell closes my office 365 apps just fine, even without elevation.
Maybe try downloading process explorer and check Winword.exe and the permissions.

Would you be so kind to tell me the Word and Windows version you’re on?
I’m on W10 19042.804, Word 13628.20448.

Tested on W10 1909. MS Office 365 Pro Plus 16.0.12527.21594

Wow, in the end it was Acronis True Image blocking the stop-process command. Apparently it has some kind of anti ransomware service that i did not know of. I use Acronis only to create bootable flash drives so uninstalled it.

Good to know that wmic can circumvent Acronis though. :woozy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.