Who uses the "Repair" feature?

Anyone here using the “Repair” section of the script?
If so, do you do it for every package?
Do you have a generalized standard method for repair?
Do you just re-run your installer again?

We haven’t used this yet at our organization, and I’m wondering if/how we should…

Thanks

I don’t use it.

When I have time or worry, I try to make it so that an install over an existing install doesn’t break things.

You do not need to use every feature. (I don’t even use defer)

Hi Paulson,

yes we use it in every package since 2 Years.

For MSI Installations it is a very useful option because you don’t have to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Thanks Dayst1
Are you just running an Execute-MSI -Action ‘Repair’ , or something else?
What do you use for non-msi installers?

I don’t use Repair, but like you, I’m curious to hear of interesting use cases.

I haven’t used it much, but one example where I have used it is for Microsoft Teams Machine-Wide Installer. I don’t get that involved in day-to-day support issues, but I was told that users sometimes have to reinstall Teams to fix issues. As we use the “Machine-Wide Installer” and that triggers a per-user install of Teams, I have “Repair” do the following tasks:

1. Uninstall Teams from each user profile on the device
  2. MSI uninstall of Team Machine-Wide
  3. MSI Install of Teams Machine-Wide
  4. And finally I launch Teams for the current logged on user, which I thought was a generous but a helpful step. Execute-processAsUser runs Teams from ProgramFilesX86, which triggers the per-user copy of Teams to install and open.

( I can’t remember why I didn’t use the MSI repair switch, instead of “uninstall then install”. There may have been a good reason - or not!)

( I can’t remember why I didn’t use the MSI repair switch, instead of “uninstall then install”. There may have been a good reason - or not!)

The MSI does not install Teams to the users’ profile. It just stages the installation files.
That’s why the MSI repair switch is useless for Teams. MS is using MSI as a glorified ZIP file.