Silent and Non interactive mode

Hello Everyone,

I have read the difference between Silent and NonInteractive mode but both of them does the same thing. (completly silent installation).

I want the “ShowWelcome Message” only if the application is running (like that the user as to close it) and the “BlockExecution” to show the block message if the user try to open the app when is updating it.

I’m doing anything wrong or those parameters does not work for now?

Thank You Guys,

There’s a slight difference though.
Silent = No dialogs
NonInteractive = Very silent, i.e. no blocking apps.

To me they work just fine. If you start the script without parameters, the toolkit will detect the machines current state and decide on which DeployMode to run itself and so you can specify your show-installationwelcom dialog and it will be interactive when applicable.

But as you’re describing it you want it to be interactive, but only show dialogs when needed. You could add something like this to your show-installationwelcom part of the script:

$Iexplore_is_Running = Get-Process -Name iexplore -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
if($Iexplore_is_Running){
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps ‘iexplore’ -BlockExecution -CheckDiskSpace
}

I would like to have the same functionnality than Christopher,

If in a deployment I don’t need to reboot, or to close an app, I would like a complete silent install, but if I need to close an app, the install will be interactive.

The solution of Pelle is half good, we see the windows of the Chrome installation (in my case) when I deploy the software but Chrome is closed.

Is it possible to have a fourth mode (mostly silent), until the need to interact is there?

Thanks

To answer Nicolas’s question, it was the wrong switch used.
Instead of -AllowDefer, if you use -AllowDeferCloseApps, the installation Windows will only show if there is a CloseApps:
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps ‘chrome=Google Chrome’ -AllowDeferCloseApps

I added a new switch to Show-InstallationWelcome to show the closing app Windows even in silent mode. This way, you don’t see every other window the installation pops up, but if apps should be closed, they won’t close drastictly.
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps ‘chrome=Google Chrome’ -AllowDeferCloseApps -DeferTimes 3 -ShowClosingAppsInSilent

You can get my fork here:
https://github.com/RichardLafontaine/PSAppDeployToolkit/tree/master/Toolkit/AppDeployToolkit
It’s a fork of the yet to be released version 3.6.9 though.

Thanks Rich, it work well with the new fork!