Issues with SCCM Installation Under System Context

I’ve been using the PSADT for about a year to simplify my deployment process through SCCM CB. This is hands down one of the best tools I’ve come across to help with my deployments. However, lately, I’ve been running into issues with certain programs that will not install if I deploy through SCCM or if I launch PSExec and run as System. For instance, I’m trying to automate an installation with three components. The first, and the one that is failing is SQL Express 2016. If I launch the script using PS ISE as Admin, all three applications install with no issues. If I log in as myself, and run the standard Deploy-Application.exe -DeployType “Install”, from a command line, once again no issues. Switch over to PSExec to test under System context, the whole thing blows up with (e.g. [Installation] :: Execution failed with exit code [-2068578304].

Here is what I’m passing in the script:
Execute-Process -Path “$dirFiles\SQLExpressExtract\Setup.exe” -Parameters “/ConfigurationFile=SQLExpress2016ConfigFile.ini”, “/IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms”

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this to run with PSADT?

Hello,

1. Where is the INI file located ? If the ini file is kept under “Files” folder or “SupportFiles” folder then provide the path in the "/ConfigurationFile parameter. Maybe setup not able to detect the INI file
  2. If on the same machine installing and uninstalling the setup then reboot the system once before installing the script through PSExec.

I put the INI file in Files\SQLExpressExtract directory. So would you suggest trying the following?

Execute-Process -Path “$dirFiles\SQLExpressExtract\Setup.exe” -Parameters “/ConfigurationFile=$dirfiles\SQLExpressExtract\SQLExpress2016ConfigFile.ini /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms”

Yes, try the same but just little modification with quotes -

Execute-Process -Path “$dirFiles\SQLExpressExtract\Setup.exe” -Parameters “/ConfigurationFile=""$($dirfiles)\SQLExpressExtract\SQLExpress2016ConfigFile.ini"" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms”

Before trying above command I would suggest to run Setup.exe directly from PSExec once ( by just double click through system context ), it may happen that setup itself not supporting system context installation.

That worked! Thanks!

Hey glad it helped you.