Exception calling "Add" with "1" Argument(s): "value cannot be null"

I am trying to louch deferral option , here is the facing error . >

Position message : appdeploymentextenstions.ps1

Create new trigger

$dailyTrigger = New-Object Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TimeTrigger # enable trigger
    $dailyTrigger.StartBoundary = [datetime]::Now + [timespan]::FromSeconds($timeTrigger)
    $taskDef.Triggers.Add($dailyTrigger)

Here is the deffer logic .

Stop the script (user chose to defer)

ElseIf (($promptResult -eq 'Defer') -and ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal) -gt 1020)) {
					Write-Log -Message 'Installation deferred by the user.' -Source ${CmdletName}
					$BlockExecution = $false

Set-DeferHistory -DeferTimesRemaining $DeferTimes -DeferDeadline $deferDeadlineUniversal

#  Restore minimized windows
					$null = $shellApp.UndoMinimizeAll()
					WRite-Log -Message "deferred at $closeAppsCountdownGlobal" -Source ${CmdletName}
					DeferTask -scriptLocation "$scriptDirectory\Deploy-Application.exe" -scriptArguments "-DeferredTask 'True'" -timeTrigger ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal-900))
					Exit-Script -ExitCode $configInstallationDeferExitCode
			}
			ElseIf (($promptResult -eq 'Defer') -and ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal) -le 1020)) {
					Write-Log -Message 'Not enough time left to defer' -Source ${CmdletName}
					[string]$promptResult = Show-WelcomePrompt -ProcessDescriptions $runningProcessDescriptions -CloseAppsCountdown $closeAppsCountdownGlobal -ForceCloseAppsCountdown $forceCloseAppsCountdown -ForceCountdown $forceCountdown -PersistPrompt $PersistPrompt -MinimizeWindows $MinimizeWindows -CustomText:$CustomText -TopMost $TopMost
			}

please reply As early as possible.

$dailyTrigger is empty when $taskDef.Triggers.Add is called. Probably due to Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler not being loaded.

but this working on windows 10 env without fail.

i am facing this issue with only windows 7 32 / 64 bit

Windows 7 comes with powershell 2.0 not 5.1 like windows 10

But I do not think this is the main problem here. The class TaskScheduler does not seem to exist in the namespace Microsoft.Win32 based on Microsoft .Net Framework documentation:

If you’re using a library like https://github.com/dahall/TaskScheduler
You need to include it with the package and import it before using it.

Thank you @luki1412

when i discussed with my team member. i found in this script there is two files working with collaboration.
1- AppDeploymentToolkitMain.ps1
2- AppDeploymentTookkitExtensions.ps1

below are the logic details.

1- AppDeploymentToolkitMain.ps1

Stop the script (user chose to defer)

ElseIf (($promptResult -eq 'Defer') -and ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal) -gt 1020)) {
					Write-Log -Message 'Installation deferred by the user.' -Source ${CmdletName}
					$BlockExecution = $false

Set-DeferHistory -DeferTimesRemaining $DeferTimes -DeferDeadline $deferDeadlineUniversal

#  Restore minimized windows
					$null = $shellApp.UndoMinimizeAll()
					WRite-Log -Message "deferred at $closeAppsCountdownGlobal" -Source ${CmdletName}
					DeferTask -scriptLocation "$scriptDirectory\Deploy-Application.exe" -scriptArguments "-DeferredTask 'True'" -timeTrigger ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal-900))
					Exit-Script -ExitCode $configInstallationDeferExitCode
			}
			ElseIf (($promptResult -eq 'Defer') -and ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal) -le 1020)) {
					Write-Log -Message 'Not enough time left to defer' -Source ${CmdletName}
					[string]$promptResult = Show-WelcomePrompt -ProcessDescriptions $runningProcessDescriptions -CloseAppsCountdown $closeAppsCountdownGlobal -ForceCloseAppsCountdown $forceCloseAppsCountdown -ForceCountdown $forceCountdown -PersistPrompt $PersistPrompt -MinimizeWindows $MinimizeWindows -CustomText:$CustomText -TopMost $TopMost
			}

2- AppDeploymentTookkitExtensions.ps1

Create new trigger

$dailyTrigger = New-Object Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TimeTrigger # enable trigger
    $dailyTrigger.StartBoundary = [datetime]::Now + [timespan]::FromSeconds($timeTrigger)
    $taskDef.Triggers.Add($dailyTrigger)

As my team member says, ([math]::floor($closeAppsCountdownGlobal-900)) this command not pulled value …OR the math command not supported to windows 7 OR less powershell version.

[Math]::Floor is supported on Powershell 2.

The error message you posted in the first post literally says the problem is $dailyTrigger

1 Like