Bug in New-Shortcut with version 3.8.4 and fix

Pulled my hair out for a while when new-shortcut kept giving me the error "Specified path [“Path to my shortcut.lnk”] is not valid. The path was correct, and I tried every syntax alteration I could think of. Even just tried putting it to the root of C: to see if it would work. After successfully using my own shortcut script in PS with wscript.shell to create a shortcut with the same path, I knew something was wrong. After checking the new-shortcut function in AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1, on line 4984 where it is synchronizing the .NET current directory with PS working directory, there is the code: [IO.Directory]::SetCurrentDirectory((Get-Location)), which in my mind is just returning the literal path from PS and not the provider path that .NET needs, so I was able to find an example of synching .NET path with PS working directory and came up with this: [IO.Directory]::SetCurrentDirectory((Get-Location -PSProvider FileSystem).ProviderPath)

After making this change, new-shortcut worked as expected. So if anyone is having this issue in 3.8.4, making the change to that line will correct it.

Thanks,
Brendan

5 Likes

Thanks for catching this. Will try to validate this myself when I get some time but if you don’t mind, could you submit a Pull Request on GitHub?

Cheers, Dan

It looks like the Master already has those changes applied, but at least I am learning more about how Github works, lol. So I assume a pull request isn’t needed then?
Thanks for the reply.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.