Balloon Tips errors (run as administrator) (PSADT v3.9)

Working with the new version of the toolkit 3.9.0.

I notice with the new version I am getting the following error.
[01-12-2023 08:19:35.286] [Pre-Installation] [Deploy Application] :: Error Record:

Message : Exception calling “Show” with “1” argument(s): “Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005
(E_ACCESSDENIED))”
InnerException : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005
(E_ACCESSDENIED))
at Windows.UI.Notifications.ToastNotifier.Show(ToastNotification notification)
at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object , Object )

FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccessException
ScriptStackTrace : at Show-BalloonTip,
C:\Users\hockink\Desktop\Toolkit\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1: line 10566
at Show-InstallationProgress,
C:\Users\hockink\Desktop\Toolkit\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1: line 10687
at , C:\Users\hockink\Desktop\Toolkit\Deploy-Application.ps1: line 188
at , : line 1

PositionMessage : At C:\Users\hockink\Desktop\Toolkit\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1:10566 char:13
+ $notifier.Show($toastXml)
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Error Inner Exception(s):

Message : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
InnerException :

If I set balloon notifications to “False” the script runs fine. Previous versions of the toolkit worked fine with the balloon Notifications set to “True”.
If I copy the Balloon Function from a previous version of PSADT everything works fine.

I’ve narrowed down the issue to being logged in as a standard user and requiring elevated privileges to trigger the script.

in our environment all users are standard users so any installations are done by SCCM as system, or run as administrator and supplying an admin account username and password.

1 Like

It’s a known issue:
Show-BalloonTip error at 3.9.0 · Issue #733 · PSAppDeployToolkit/PSAppDeployToolkit (github.com)

They have reworked this feature and I guess it has a few kinks.
PSADT creates an XML string to describe what to show in the toast but when it comes time to trigger the toast with the notifier.Show($toastXml) line, Windows refuses to “Show” the toast.

PS: For those who don’t know, a “Toast” is a window pops up from the bottom-right of the screen

1 Like

There is a fix on version 3.9.1 related to Toast messages when running as system. Check if it may fixes yours.

1 Like