wait for Chrome.exe and Firefox.exe to be closed before resuming silent install

Hi all,

I wonder if it was possible to deploy a silent install of:

• Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 25.0.0.171
  • Adobe Flash Player NPAPI 25.0.0.171

And code that it needs to wait for Chrome.exe and Firefox.exe to be closed before resuming the silent installation.
I don’t want any pop-ups for the user to be asked to close these applications.
Nor do I want the PSAppDeployToolkit to force close these applications/processes.

Cheers,
Harm

Hi,

On which OS. Since Windows 8 Flash is part of the OS.

Thanks,

Dear Francois,

I don’t know what this has to do with what OS this is happening on.
I deployed these applications to a device collection of Windows 7 desktops which don’t have the latest version of the ActiveX and NPAPI Plugin installed.
I’m aware that since Windows 8 Flash is part of the OS. (ActiveX)

I just need to built-in a check that delays the installation - it has to wait on the dependent processes to be closed by the user him/herself before installing the application.
Also I don’t want a message to be displayed to the user to instruct him/her to close these dependent applications/processes before Installation can continue.

Cheers,
Harm

“I just need to built-in a check that delays the installation – it has to wait on the dependent processes to be closed by the user him/herself before installing the application.
Also I don’t want a message to be displayed to the user to instruct him/her to close these dependent applications/processes before Installation can continue.”

1. Then you need to check if someone is log on an interactive session first --> This informations is already available in PSADTK

2. If someone is logged on run a get-process and find if your process is existing, if not then go!

3. But what about if the user remain login 3 weeks with Chrome open? Also with SCCM no other deployment will be occurring… You should popup Something to the user or just close Chrome and go!

Hi Francois,

thanks for this response, I didn’t know that if this deployment is occuring no other deployment can start.
What you say that a user remains logged in 3 weeks in a row with the Chrome process open is not unusual but highly exceptional.

I hoped there was some Example of this Use-Case available or maybe someone had already done this before.
I’m glad with your information so I can try it out.

For now I really don’t want to annoy our end-users with pop-ups, but in the near future this is going to be necessary - and that should be communicated first through intranet portal website first.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Harm

Hi,
We had similar situation. On a previous job, we were shutting down computers at night and using Wake on lan. So we were distributing at night.

On my current job we have no wol.

So we are showing Windows to our customers in some situations:

1. Asking to shutdown Office (plugin installation) or email
  2. Computer is in pending reboot state and the packager identify the software will not install if a computer is in pending reboot state.
  3. Insufficient diskspace
  4. The computer need to be reboot to successfully end the setup and leave the computer in a stable solution.

I believe, even if a software setup is totally silent, there will be situation where a Customer need to do Something,

Thanks,