Show-InstallationWelcome

Hi,
I want to ask if there is an oportunity to have an optional timeout parameter with Show-InstallationWelcome (similar to Show-InstallationPrompt)? I am asking this ecause I have the need for such an option when using an installation package based on PADT and doing depoyment via sccm or Ivanti DSM7. As in the Deployment tool normally a timeout is used to prevent stops for deploying packages i had to know if a prompt was deferred by the user or has run into a timeout (e.g. user is in a meeting, client is locked and therefore no response is given). From the deployment point of view the task will fail and end instead of being hold for redistribution after a time delay.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Greetings Harald

Show-InstallationWelcome has a -ForceCountdown parameter.

Hi,
thank you for your reply.

I noticed this parameter but it forces control of an installation to be continued after the time exceeded.
What I was asking for is the opportunity to control a timeout (e.g. Show-InstallationPrompt) to be able to interrupt an installation that is driven e.g SCCM or DSM7 and to reoffer it to the user after a specific time amount.

Anyway, thanks for your support. I have enhanced the named function in the meantime and it works like a charm for me now.

Greetings Harald

Hello,

I’m not sure I understand your issue. Both of those functions have a timeout and both interrupt the installation. What exactly do you want to control about the timeout? Do you want to change its value while its running?

I know you resolved the issue for yourself but this might be helpful to others. Or we can implement something for the toolkit.

Hi,
my need is that the Show-InstallationWelcome function has to be used to be able to show the user applications that must be closed before procedding. The Deploy-Application.Exe is called by DSM7 from Ivanti. DSM7 as SCCM have a timeout (e.g. SCCM 2 hours, DSM7 can be defined individually within the package). Therefore I need a control mechanism to be able to control the deployment.
Example: The user is shown the Welcome-Prompt indicating that e.g. Outlook must be closed to proceed with the installation. If the user e.g. is in a meeting and does not recognize the Welcome dialog, this dialog will keep displayed by default endless. In the meantime the deployment tool (SCCM resp. DSM7) force the end of the installation either with an error or as success (which does not reflect the reality).
Therefore I need a timeout to be defined 8e.g. 5 minutes less than the timeout of the deployment tool) to be able to catch that timeout as a non user reaction instead of catching an error/success. Becaus the deployment tool offers normally the opportunity to re-deploy the software package after a specifi time if that package was not marked as errorneous or successful.
With the timeout defined by me I am able to control the deploy mechanism in the right way.

PS: I have had a closer look into the documentation (Version3.7.0) for the Show-InstallationWelcome function and the parameter ‘ForceCountdown’ you mentioned.
The descriüption says :

-ForceCountdown <Int32>
    Specify a countdown to display **before automatically proceeding with the installation** when a deferral is enabled.

Greetings Harald

PS Sorry for the typos I have had in my last post.

I think a better solution would be to auto defer the installation after time runs out. Returning an exit code makes SCCM/DSM think the installation has ended, which would be misleading unless you use detection which would fail. Installation would be retried or not based on that. The user could have not clicked anything all day and just left the window open. If he/she reboots windows, the window will force close and not restart.

How do I make Show-InstallationWelcome auto defer after a timer runs out? If there deferals left, I want to display the timer on the dialog and if that time runs out, I want it to defer, not continue. Has someone already done this? How can I change the functions? I can get the timer to display but I am not sure what to change to make it auto defer.

Uberis, can you send me what exactly you did?